Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Pondering 2014: A very general reflection

As the year comes to an end I sit in reflection of a year FULL of adventures, heartaches, joyous events, financial struggles, moments of bleakness, and moments where hope finally shone through. In all these life experiences this last year one thing remained constant! God.

He has held us through the tough times and the happy times. I am thankful for my Heavenly Father and the blessings in my life. These blessings are not riches or an easy life, but good friends and a loving family. People who I can look to in a time of need or to smack me up side the head when I start acting a fool...again!

In a later post I will list my highlights of 2014 as well in another post I will list our struggles and how we got through them or are still getting through them.

In this post however I just want to take a moment and be very general. Ha! I have grown much this year. I'm 30 years old now and I love it. I love the maturity and wisdom that is coming with each new year and experience. I have a long way to go and I tend to be very child-like in my heart. Believing the best and getting totally crushed when my eyes are opened to the unspeakable cruelty that is everyday human behavior has become commonplace in my life.

I am child-like, very different from childish, and I am not ashamed of it. The only draw back is the shock I encounter when people are cruel or unkind or lie. I've been living in the human condition for 30 years and I'm still shocked by folks.

It's a good thing, I know but it doesn't lessen the sting of disappointment. BUT the joy of having faith in humanity and watching true kindness by far outweighs the sting. I am blessed to wake up every morning anew with the expectations that today will be a good day, that today will be a day where someone shows kindness, does the right thing, sacrifices for others and serves them.

This year has taught me many things. I'll save my lessons for yet another post. I really just want to stay within the realm of sweeping generalizations.

God has taught me so much this year. There are undeniable truths that I don't necessarily forget, but that can get overshadowed by our own humanity and we must be gently and sometimes abruptly guided back to them.

So no I'll leave you to ponder your 2014 and how God has been there the whole time. Even when you think you were all alone...you weren't.

Please share you favorite verses for 2014 in the comments.

2 Corinthians 9:8 "And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work."

Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths.

Thank you for reading,
A Girl of Many Hats

No comments: